During the Runaway Scrape Texans fled to Louisiana across Gaines Ferry. Benjamin F. Bryant, in response to Sam Houston's call for troops, organized the volunteer Sabine Company, which served at the battle of San Jacinto in 1836. After the victory at San Jacinto, the government of the Republic of Texas began to organize. On December 14, 1837, Sabine County was organized and its boundaries defined. John Boyd represented the county at the First and Second congresses of the Republic of Texas, and Matthew Parker was appointed the first chief justice. The county boundaries have remained unchanged since its establishment; however, when the area was known as the Municipality of Sabine, it encompassed parts of present-day San Augustine, Jasper, and Newton counties.
Milam was the original county seat, but as early as 1850 settlers began to petition the government for a more centrally located county seat on the grounds that Milam was more than five miles from the geographic center of the county. In August 1858 an election was held, and 160 out of 260 votes were cast in favor of relocation. However, the election was invalidated because there was not an official survey proving Milam was outside the five-mile limit. On November 11, 1858, after a survey found Milam to be six and three-quarter miles from the center of the county, another election was held, and a majority again voted for relocation. J. A. Whittelsey, Alex Harris, John H. Smith, George L. Clapp, and C. K. Blanchard, acting as the Sabine County Court, used a survey by E. P. Beddoe and ordered that the county seat be located at the center of the county. The new town was named Hemphill, in honor of John Hemphill, a former Texas Supreme Court justice, who at the time was serving as a United States senator.
The economy of Sabine County gradually recovered after the Civil War. The number of farms increased to 1,064 in 1900, and the primary crops were cotton, corn, and sweet potatoes. The population went from 3,256 in 1870 to 6,394 in 1900 to 12,299 in 1920. The number of farms increased slightly to 1,270 in 1920. Cotton bales ginned went from 2,409 in 1910 to 2,919 in 1920 to 4,760 in 1929, with a high of 8,209 in 1926. The county had eighteen manufacturing establishments in 1920. A county newspaper called the Sabine County Reporter began publication in Hemphill in 1883. It merged with the San Augustine Rambler and became known as the Sabine County Reporter and the Rambler. In the early 1900s a number of other newspapers were published, including the Hemphill Reporter, the Hemphill Sabine County Reporter, and the Sabine County Citizen. Telephone service from the Sabine Valley Telephone Company was available between Bronson and Hemphill as early as 1911, and in 1914 the Sabine Citizens Telephone Company was authorized to build and maintain a telephone service along all public roads and streets. Railroads first came into Sabine County in 1902–03 when the Gulf, Beaumont and Great Northern Railroad laid a track north from Jasper County. In 1948 the railroad was leased to the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway, which merged with the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe in 1965. The Lufkin, Hemphill and Gulf Railway ran eastward through Bronson in 1912 and reached Hemphill in 1916; the track was abandoned in 1938. In the 1920s construction began on State Highway 21 from Geneva to Milam and State Highway 87 from Milam to Hemphill. The era of growth at the turn of the century was accompanied by the organization of six financial institutions. Bronson State Bank was established in 1907 and merged with Peoples State Bank of Bronson (1919) in 1921. This bank was closed in 1931 due to insolvency. Farmers and Merchants State Bank of Hemphill later became First National Bank and was also liquidated in 1931. Sabine County was without a local bank until September 1944, when the First State Bank at Hemphill was established. Pineland State Bank was established in May 1957. Both banks were still in operation as of the 1980s.
Construction began on Toledo Bend Reservoir in 1964. The impoundment of water began in 1966, and the electrical plant was finished in 1969. Toledo Bend, the largest man-made lake in the South, covers 181,000 acres, over a third of which are in Sabine County. Another construction project was the Pineland Airport, built in the mid-1960s a mile southwest of Pineland on U.S. Highway 96. The Arthur Temple, Sr., Memorial Library was built in 1969 with funding from the T. L. L. Temple Foundation and the city of Pineland. By 1969 the number of farms in the county had dropped to 382, but their value had increased to $32 million. Cotton production decreased from 1,000 bales in 1950 to the last reported figure of 520 in 1960. Sabine County experienced an era of growth in conjunction with the completion of Toledo Bend Dam and Reservoir. In 1970 the county had 7,187 residents-1,715 black and 5,445 white- and manufacturing increased to eighteen establishments. In 1975 the Sabine County Hospital District was established and collected $1,500,000 in funding for the construction of Sabine County Hospital, which in 1980 had thirty-six beds. Residents had previously been served by the City Hospital, established in 1953 by Dr. G. C. Winslow. In 1984 Congress set aside 9,946 acres for the Indian Mounds Wilderness Area, administered by the Yellow Pines Ranger District of the United States Forest Service, in Hemphill. The district also supervises the operation of the Red Hills, Willow Oak, Indian Mounds, and Lakeview recreation areas. Twenty-five percent of the money received from oil and gas royalties and the sale of timber from within the forest went toward the support of the county road and school systems. In 1982 the county produced 58,744,000 cubic feet of gas and 36,244 barrels of oil.
The population was 9,586 in 1990. Manufacturing remained steady, while the number of farms decreased to a low of 224. In 1990 the main population centers were Hemphill (population, 1,182), Pineland (882), and Bronson (259). The economy was based on tourism, livestock and broiler chicken production, and the lumber industry. In 2014 the census counted 10,350 people living in Sabine County. About 86.7 percent were Anglo, 7.5 percent were African American, and 3.8 percent were Hispanic. Almost 71 percent of residents age twenty-five and older had four years of high school, and almost 10 percent had high school degrees. In the early twenty-first century timber, tourism, and service businesses were important elements of the area’s economy. In 2002 the county had 219 farms and ranches covering 30,808 acres, 38 percent of which were devoted to crops, 33 percent to pasture, and 29 percent to woodlands. In that year Sabine County farmers and ranchers earned $6,853,000 (down 39 percent from 1997); livestock sales accounted for $6,479,000 of that total. Poultry, cattle, vegetables, and fruit were the chief agricultural products. About 16,726,000 cubic feet of pinewood and more than 1,573,300 cubic feet of hardwood were harvested in the county in 2003. Hemphill (population, 1,215) is the county seat; other communities include Milam (1,535), Pineland (839), Bronson (377), Brookeland (300), and Geneva (200). Billing itself “The Fishing Capital of the World,” the county offers a wide variety of recreational activities, including fishing in Toledo Bend Reservoir and hunting in the Sabine National Forest. It also has a Mayfest and a county fair in October.BIBLIOGRAPHY: